Dewey Readmore Books. That’s his full name – da famous library cat from Spencer, Iowa. He wuz a furry handsome floofy ginger dood. That is who this book is about. This is a TRUE story, and that’s whut makes it SO special. It is written by da nice lady who found Dewey in da return book drop box at da library. Can you believe that?! Some doofus put a cute fur baby in da book drop box on a furry cold winter night – but luckily he was saved by da library lady . . . AND da whole town!
This story began in da late ‘80’s when da economy in Spencer, Iowa (and most farm communities) was in da litterbox, but Dewey’s purrsonality brought life back to da town and brought inspiration, hope, and love back into da lives of da peoples of da town. Peoples started coming from all over da werld to visit Dewey at da Spencer library. Dewey ruled da library fer 19 years! He liked all kinds of peoples – from old to blurpy.
This wuz Dewey’s job description at da library (excerpt from da book):
- Reducing stress for all humans who pay attention to him.
- Sitting by the front door every morning at 9:00 am to greet the public as they enter the library.
- Sampling all boxes that enter the library for security problems and comfort level.
- Attending all meetings in the Round Room as official library ambassador.
- Providing comic relief for staff and visitors whenever possible.
- Climbing in book bags and briefcases while patrons are studying or trying to retrieve needed papers underneath him.
- Generating free national and world-wide publicity for Spencer Public Library. (This entails sitting still for photographs, smiling for the camera, and generally being cute.)
- Working toward status as world's most finicky cat by refusing all but the most expensive, delectable foods---and even turning up his nose at those most of the time.
He hadded his own heated kitty cup and he snoopervised da library staff by riding on da book cart to make sure they put da books back in da right spot. He wus furry punctual and always greeted da library director wif a wave in da morning. He would curl up on da lap of a little blurp during story time. He even hadded a wild adventure out of doors – then he realized he hadded a pretty good gig at da library.
Once you start reading this book you will not be able to put it down – or in our case, we gotted it on audio CD and we hadded to make excuses fer Mommakitty to drive us around town so we could finish it! Anyhoo . . .
You can learn more about Dewey HERE
Or become a fan on his FaceBook page
Or join da Dewey Lookalike contest on Flickr
AND da best part . . . you can git a chance to have yer furry own FREE copy! Da nice lady at da publishing company offered us 5 copies to give away! So here’s whut you gotta do –
- You need to have a pet blog or Catster / Dogster page to enter
- Write something in da comments on this bloggie like, “I NEED this book!”
- One entry per household
- Be prepared to give us yer mailing address so we can git da book to you
- Comments will close on Saturday night, Dec. 6, 11:59pm, PST.
- Names will be drawn by our blurpy sisser Kiera (who is a pro at this).
- Winners will be announced Sunday, Dec. 7, 8:00am PST
Good luck! And if you don’t win – don’t whine. It’s werth da green papers.
P.S. - AND remember, . . . we will be havin' another book review a drawing (fer a different book) in another week!